The garage area is an integral part of the home. This is clearly evident from the fact that they provide storage space, room for playing as well as ideal space for personalized home projects. However, when misused, garage doors can be very dangerous. This being the case, it is very important to know how to use garage door properly in order to avoid disaster. To help you do this, below is an overview of some of the things which you should be aware of in order to make you, your garage door and possessions safe.
- Make sure that the garage door opener control button is completely out of the reach of small children. The best way to do this is to make sure that the button is installed higher than the light switch. If your garage door control button is less than four feet off the ground, you should make a point of moving it higher.
- Go through the manufacturer manual and familiarize yourself with all the basics of operating the garage door emergency release protocol. Take time to practice opening your garage door manually in preparation for when there is a power blackout or the garage door breaks down.
- Take time to virtually inspect your garage door at least once every month. During your inspection, it is advised that you focus on the garage door components such as the cables, pulleys, rollers, springs etc while doing this, focus on signs of tear and wear and also avoid any attempt to remove or better yet try to repair any parts. Should there be need, utilize an experienced professional.
- Periodically test your garage door’s auto reverse mechanism by placing a small object in its path. Make sure you use an item which you do not really care about damaging since it stands to be completely smashed assuming the garage door fails to reverse as expected. Remember, in case your garage door fails to reverse automatically, it is advised that you call in a repair specialist.
- When leaving for vacation, make sure that the garage door opener is completely unplugged from its power source. This should be very easy since some garage doors are designed with vacation lock which only requires activation should need to do so arise. Activating the vacation lock serves as a guarantee for security since the garage door cannot be opened even if someone is able to get a hold of your remote.
- Refrain from racing under the garage door as it closes. As much as it may seem funny and a possibility, truth is you can sustain serious injuries in case you miss a step and fall right on the garage door tracks.
- Refrain from leaving your garage door opener inside your vehicle while it is packed long term. Consider making use of a key chain remote control to help your keep your garage door opener on you at all times.
- Take full advantage of the rolling code security technology fitted on most modern garage doors. This is important because this system automatically switches the garage door code every time that you press the opener. Interesting thing is the change of code does not in any way affect you as you will still maintain administrative access to the garage area.
As much as most of the things mentioned above may seem obvious, it is important to understand that when it comes to matters of garage door safety, it is strongly advised that you stay as knowledgeable as possible.
For more business service, you can see at-